More FOs from ages ago

Thanks to the recent release of a couple of fantastic new design collections, I've some finished knits from way back to share. 

First off, Wychavon by Woolly Wormhead, from Painted Woolly Toppers for Kids
This was a test knit, in Malabrigo Sock yarn in Ravelry Red, with the addition of two pink buttons previously pilfered from my mother's button tin. In spite of the face she's making, the Small Human has been delighted with this hat, insisting on wearing it on very sunny days. This cloche is a very straightforward knit with character, and the garter stitch fabric is very accommodating of growing heads; I knit the 19" size, which stretches to accommodate The Small Human's 20" head.*


I adore this collection; the hats are wonderful & inventive - full  of character while still being wearable. The photography has just the right mix of clarity (so you can see the pattern) and a sense of the wonderful models having fun. Each pattern makes wonderful use of hand-dyed yarns (sometimes it can be difficult to match busy yarns to suitable patterns) And as usual with Woolly Wormhead patterns, there are a range of sizes from small kid to adult. I look forward to seeing some adult-sized finished projects cropping up on Ravelry. 

The hardest part is deciding what to knit next - I'm a little torn between Allerton & Gorton. I'm hoping to get to see some samples in-person in the not too distant future to help make this difficult decision.**

Knitting With Rainbows by Carol Feller is another recently-released collection which really excites me. This is another collection which focuses on making the most of special yarns. The book discusses gradient yarn types  (one-skein, mini skein or DIY gradient sets using a combination of individual yarns) and how to use them, and includes accessory patterns to illustrate these ideas.

I had the pleasure of knitting some samples for the book using mini-skein sets from Fyberspates.

Probys gauntlets begin with a folded picot hem & use a super-simple but satisfying slipped-stitch pattern to ease transition between colours, and create some visual interest.

Arch Lane Cowl uses a combination of garter & slipped stitches; it includes instructions for two sizes, with additional information on changing the size of the pattern to suit the amount of yarn available. I've been considering knitting another version of this using a mini-skein set combined with a single-colour neutral yarn, though it might have to wait until some deadline-knitting is out of the way... and I have an appropriate gradient yarn.

This is a beautiful book, full of clear information and beautifully shot pattern photographs (I love the use of bright & bold street art as a background for bright & bold yarn combinations). The use of textured stitch patterns adds interest to the individual knits while still showing the yarn to its best. (I would have previously thought to stick to stocking stitch or garter stitch only to avoid yarn & stitch pattern competing). The only dilemma for me is what to knit next from this collection; Half Moon Street and Shanakiel have been calling to me, but I'm also hugely impressed with the DIY gradient effect used in Forge Hill. I suppose I could make time by not sleeping....



*I feel the need to explain my seemingly neglectful parent-knitting; At the time I committed to the test knit, the Small Human was asleep, and I was looking at head measurements from about 6 months before the time of knitting. Kids grow quickly...

**I'm also very very excited about Woolly Wormhead's upcoming workshops in This is Knit. I've been increasingly fascinated by her work since the release of Painted Woolly Toppers & was delighted when these fascinating workshops were announced, having missed her previous visits here in Dublin.  It's been... what seems like forever since I have taken part in a workshop so this is an extra big treat for me! Yay! Learning!!
Both workshops are fully booked, but you could add yourself to the waiting list.

Comments

Popular Posts