Finished Knits: Wowligan cardigan

I *finally* have some finished knits to share! *
Pattern: Wee Owligan by Kate Davies
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in Silver
Beads: size 8 Japanese Seed Beads from stash (I believe I bought them in Beads & Bling - now closed - many moons ago)
Buttons: from Hickey's Fabrics

The cardigan is worked from the bottom up; sleeves are worked in the round & joined to the body. The raglan yoke decreases are worked before a row of wonderful wee owl cables. 


Modifications: this cardigan was intended for a rather tall little girl. I knit the 5th size, for 4 year old, with extra length. The body was 30 cm from underarm to hem; the sleeves 29 cm from underarm to hem. I also made changes to the sleeves as I found the cuff very narrow fitting (I prefer to be able to roll back slightly too-long sleeves on new cardigans). I cast on 44 stitches; worked ribbing as described in the pattern, & knit for 4 rounds. I then worked 3 pairs of increases as described in the pattern every 10 rows. All these changes meant that I used more yarn than called for in the pattern, which I was expecting. 


Instead of sewing on buttons-for-eyes as described in the pattern, I added beads while knitting the owls. I threaded the number of beads onto an additional length of yarn & knit the entire row 16 from the chart using this length. I placed the beads between the 'eye' stitches in the owl cable. The effect is very subtle, but I hear the recipient is quite impressed with her new sparkly cardigan. 


This was a lovely pattern to knit; well-written instructions and a dotey finished object.  It's sized from 6 months to 10 years, & is a really welcome reinterpretation of the much-loved Owlet sweater. I think I'll be knitting this again as my own sparkle-loving Small Human has already requested her own.
*My recent knitting has been dominated by sample knits, gift knits & swatching, none of which make for satisfactory blogging. There have also been some neglected projects in need of half-decent photos.   Must do better.... 

Comments

Popular Posts